We have been contacted today to inform us that the Norvirus is currently circulating in local communities. Please follow the following guidance to reduce the number of cases:
Children and staff with symptoms of norovirus should follow this advice:
- Stay away from work, school or nursery until they have been free of symptoms for at least 48 hours and minimise contact with others where possible.
- Keep hydrated by drinking fluids as tolerated.
- If symptoms persist (more than 48 hours) phone the GP or NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 for advice.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water regularly but particularly after toilet visits and before eating and handling food. Alcohol hand gel is not effective against norovirus.
- Don’t visit friends or relatives in hospital or residential care homes as there is a real risk of introducing the infection to the establishment.
- Don’t handle or prepare food for other people until symptom free for at least 48 hours.
- Ensure anyone with symptoms is excluded from school trips and residential trips. Schools should consider postponing these trips during an outbreak,